HEY! I’m out of my teaching gig as of July 1. Rooting around for something new to spin up. If you have any ideas where a voracious and omnivorous GTD fan boy could make a dent, please let me know. Until I know what I’ll be doing, I’d be delighted to consult for $50 a pop on:
- Desk makeovers. For an example of what I do, see Abomination of Deskolation Redeemed
What is the magic *pixie dust* of Bill’s GTD consulting?
- *Nobody* can implement chapters 4-13 in GETTING THINGS DONE. So, what is a desperate person to do?
- Step 0: Buy a soft bound copy of GTD then open to Chapter 4, and cut the binding. You can read chapter 4 and after in 12 months.
- Start by reading chapters 1 through 3.
- Next, put chpaters 4-end away where you won’t loose them, and then put an appointment for 1 year from today to take a look at chapter 4.
- Step 1: Get a robust reference filing system.
- That is,Evernote is not a GTD system, Evernote is the distilled essence of reference filing.
- Step 2: Get a real desk!
- Step 3: No, really, get a real desk!
- Step 4: “When I organize, I feel his pleasure!” i.e., Chariots of Fire for messy people = me before GTD
What does Bill do for people implementing GTD?
- 1. Nuke the desk. All the teddy bears, pictures of faces, adding machines, etc. off the desk. To think, you must have zero clutter in front of your eyes.
- 2. Arm twisting.
- You really need a Monitor ARM. They cost money, they are not what everyone else has, they are in many troglodyte offices, ostentatious. But, they are the only way to turn a giant monitor stand (i.e., desk with monitor or laptop dominating it) into a desk where real work can happens.
- You really need a Fujitsu ScanSnap if you are going to defeat file cabinets, inertia, ignorance, and momentum to take back your mental life.
- Bravery to disregard the inner editor. Click the previous link and then search for “trouble with the editor”.
- General consultations about GTD, implementing in middle schools, college, admissions departments, or anywhere else.
Or, pitch me something you’d like to do with GTD, and if I like your cause, I’ll do it for free! Opportunity costs are zero at present. Ask away!