For those who are interested in Evernote, here are the main pages where I’ve talked about how I use Evernote:
- How I got my 94,000 page file cabinet into Evernote (within a description of my workflow before and after)
- How Evernote anchors my GTD system by making reference filing easier to do right than wrong
- Falling off the GTD wagon and getting back on via Evernote
- Restarting GTD with Evernote
- Great external post on using Evernote for project and reference filing at once
- How To for Evernote/ScanSnap
- The *trick* to dragging and dropping files into Evernote
- How to scan business cards into Evernote
- How to install Evernote web clipper <= It will rock your web surfing world! Never forget a URL again!
- How to set up presets (scan checks for deposit, documents for Evernote, Pictures, email, etc.)
My Evernote setup is joined at the hip with my most excellent $420 ScanSnap S1500M (for Windows look at the S1500). Full disclosure: If you buy your scanner from these links, I get a commission from Amazon (However, the scanner costs you the same). If you don’t like this arrangement, change the links once you find the scanner on Amazon.
Previous to buying the ScanSnap S1500M when I accepted a job requiring a move, I owned a ScanSnap S1300 ($300 TO $350, one model for $260 which I suspect is older). The S1300 holds 13 pages in its input bin, which is so much better than using a flat bed scanner, you get euphoric at being able to get paper off your desk.
But, … the S1500M has a 50 page input bin, it has more robust paper guides, it is MUCH faster. And, did I mention it is MUCH faster? In my opinion, the S1500M is worth the price difference. You will scan your paper into Evernote 3 to 4 times faster (my guess having used both). And, once you have the bulk of your paper into Evernote, the S1500M is such a pleasure to use, it will keep your desk clean of paper. With the S1300 I was constantly fighting buildup of pages in my inbox.
Fujitsu has a promotion going on from now until November 1st, where if you buy a ScanSnap you get a free year of Evernote premium. See offer details at the bottom of this post.
Hope this helps!